The Taj Mahal was commissioned by Shah Jahan in 1631, to be built in the memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal, a Persian princess who died giving birth to their 14th child, Gauhara Begum. Construction started in 1632, and the mausoleum was completed in 1643, while the surrounding buildings and garden were finished five years later. The imperial court documenting Shah Jahan’s grief after the death of Mumtaz Mahal illustrates the love story held as the inspiration for the Taj Mahal.
Timing and Ticket Price to Visit the Taj Mahal in Agra, India
(Taj Mahal opens 30 Minutes before sunrise and closes 30 Minutes before sunset during normal operating days)
- Ticket Outlets Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays for general viewing. Other days it is always open.
(Buying a Taj Mahal Ticket From Entry Gate Ticket Counter)
- Taj Mahal Western Gate:– Tickets are available on Western Gate near Saheli Burj. (Timing-One Hour before Sunrise up to 45 Minutes Before Sunset).
- Taj Mahal Eastern Gate:– Tickets are available at Eastern Gate of Taj Mahal. (Timing-One Hour before Sunrise up to 45 Minutes Before Sunset).
- Taj Mahal Southern Gate:– No Entry from this gate at Present only Exit is allowed.
There are separate queues for Foreign tourists and Domestic tourists and signs will direct you accordingly.
- Tourists buying tickets online will get discount of Rs.5/- for per Indian ticket & Rs. 50/- for per Foreigner ticket.
- No Entry fee for children below the age of 15 years. (both Domestic and Foreigner).
- Additional Rs.200/- will be charged if one wants to visit the main mausoleum